Apply to Wake Pre-K
Pre-Kindergarten Application Process 2020-21
COVID-19 Update: NC Pre-Kindergarten has suspended its program until further notice. BUT! Families are encouraged to mail in their completed applications with required documents to our office. See address below. All Wake Pre-K Application Center events are suspended. Please go to our Resources page for more assistance.
WCSS is NOW accepting applications for Wake County Pre-Kindergarten (Pre-K) Programs including NC Pre-K, Title I and Head Start. Wake County Pre-K programs are publicly funded. They prepare children for school by using a program that enhances children’s physical, social, emotional and intellectual development.
To be considered for 2020-21 Wake County Pre-K programs, your child must be 4 years old on or before August 31, 2020. Applications received after June 5, 2020 will be considered for NC Pre-K and Head Start.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR 2020-21 SCHOOL YEAR!
Click to download a printable application here to write in your entries before printing and signing: 2020-21 PRINTABLE PRE-K APPLICATION
Please note: This Pre-K Application Form must be printed, completed, and then signed in order to apply.
You can mail your application and documentation to:
Wake Pre-K Application Center
Wake County Smart Start
4901 Waters Edge Drive, Suite 101
Raleigh, NC 27606
or if you need assistance, please come to an application event (please scroll to the bottom of this page for more details).
For additional questions, please call 919-851-9550 and ask to speak with a Pre-K representative.
The following is required for a complete application:
- Copy of your child’s birth certificate
- Proof of residence* (current light/water bill and lease agreement or statement from homeowner)
- Proof of all income: Please provide pay stubs for each employed family member/parent/guardian, child support, retirement, worker’s compensation, statement from supervisor, 2019 IRS 1040, unemployment/social security benefits letter or copies of all W-2s from 2019. (If you get paid weekly, submit four consecutive pay stubs; bi-weekly/twice monthly, submit two consecutive pay stubs; monthly, submit two full month pay stubs.) If “0” income is reported on your application, please click here to print a Pre-K Statement of Zero Income form to complete and submit with your application.
- Documentation of child’s additional needs (ex. parents in military service, developmental, educational or chronic health concerns)
*Reside with another family? Bring a notarized statement from the homeowner and a copy of their current light/water bill.
Pre-K placements are made based on program specific factors, not on a first-come, first-served basis. Wake County Pre-K classrooms are located in public schools, in Head Start centers and in high quality child care facilities. Participation is voluntary.
Only complete applications can be processed.
Events to Help You Apply for Wake Pre-K
To assist you with the application process, WCSS and its community partners are holding application events around Wake County throughout the year. A complete list can be found here. You can also view our calendar to find dates and locations.
WCSS’s Pre-K team holds walk-in application events Thursday afternoons at our offices at 4901 Waters Edge Drive in Raleigh.
- View calendar here for dates and times. (Note: WCSS offices will be closed Thursday, November 26 for the Thanksgiving holiday and Thursday, December 24 for winter break.)
- Find directions and public transportation information here.
Please note: When Wake County Public Schools are closed or delayed for inclement weather, Pre-K application events will be postponed and rescheduled.